- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Roma M. Merritt, 93, of Cape Girardeau died Thursday, Oct. 2, 2003, at her home.
She was born Jan. 11, 1910, in Providence, Ky., daughter of Charlie and Katherine McNeely Winstead. She and George "Bob" Merritt were married Dec. 24, 1926, in Dixon, Ky. He died June 1, 1995.
The Merritts moved from Kentucky in 1940. They owned and operated Merritt and Merritt Gas Station on Mason Street 20 years. She was a member of First Free Will Baptist Church and its Senior Adult Sunday School Class.
Survivors include two daughters, Ruby Merritt, Shirley Reed and husband John R.; a sister, Maudeline Cook; three grandchildren, Richard Reed and wife Cheryl, Robert Reed and wife Regina, Ronald Reed and wife Terri; three great-grandchildren, Rachel Reed, Roma Ann Reed and Richard Reed II; three great-great-grandchildren, Sierra Brooks, Logan Reed and Ridge Reed, all of Cape Girardeau.
She was preceded in death by three brothers and four sisters.
Friends may call at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Monday at the funeral home, with the Rev. John Rhodes officiating. Burial will be in Cape County Memorial Park.