- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)26
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Whitewater woman dies in deer-related accident
A Whitewater woman died in a fatal accident Tuesday night after the car she was driving struck a deer on Highway 61 north of Shawneetown.
Joann Jaco, 47, was pronounced dead at the scene. Her husband, 49-year-old Richard P. Jaco, was taken by ambulance to Saint Francis Medical Center with minor injuries.
According to a Missouri Highway Patrol crash report, the accident occurred when a 1997 Ford driven by 71-year-old Leon T. Mueller of Frohna, Mo., struck a deer around 8:40 p.m. Tuesday, sending the animal airborne and into the path of a 2000 Mercury driven by Joann Jaco. The deer came through the windshield and struck Jaco.
For more information, log on semissourian.com later today or read Thursday's Southeast Missourian.