- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/01/16)
Jackie Lee Givens, 75, of Jackson passed from this life to his eternal reward Sunday, May 13, 2007.
He was born June 22, 1931, in Cape Girardeau, son of the late Cletus L. and Edna I. Curry Givens. He and Janene Wampler were married May 6, 1956.
Jack served in the U.S. Navy from Nov. 21, 1949, to Dec. 11, 1953. He then worked 13 years as a riverboat captain and then at Procter & Gamble from 1969 to 1992.
He was a member of Bethel Assembly of God Church in Cape Girardeau.
Loving survivors include his wife of 51 years, Janene, of Jackson; a son, Dr. Mike Givens of Cape Girardeau; two daughters, Tara Givens of Jackson, Jodee Mitchell of Jefferson City, Mo.; a brother, Ted Givens of Cape Girardeau; a sister, Vickie Watling of Nuevo, Calif.; 10 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a daughter, Cindy Givens; and two brothers, Gary and Michael Givens.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today at McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson.
The funeral will be Wednesday at 10 a.m. at the funeral home, with the Rev. Phillip Roop officiating. Interment will follow in Crump Cemetery with full military honors.
Memorials may be made to Crump Cemetery.
Sympathy messages may be sent to the family online at www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.