- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Deadline for pageant entries this week
Wednesday is the deadline for entries in the Miss Diamond Cape Pageant, one of many events planned this fall to celebrate the opening of the new Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge.
The pageant is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Oct. 18 in Academic Hall Auditorium on the Southeast Missouri State University campus.
The pageant observes the opening of the new bridge and honors the 75th anniversary, or diamond anniversary, of the existing Mississippi River bridge. Community officials say the pageant is reminiscent of the 1928 Queen of the Bridge dedication festivities that included hometown representation by 12 young women.
While the 1928 Queen of the Bridge competition consisted of earning votes and drawing names from a bowl to determine the winner, the Miss Diamond Cape Pageant 2003 will judge on poise, interview, gown and talent.
Age groups are 5- to 8-year-olds, Tiny Miss Diamond Cape; 9- to 11-year-olds, Junior Miss Diamond Cape; 12- to 15-year-olds, Teen Miss Diamond Cape; and 16- to 19-year-olds, Miss Diamond Cape.
Interested participants may obtain registration forms by contacting Faune Riggin at (573) 651-0313. An entry fee applies.
Admission is $1, and tickets will be available at the door. Each participant will receive four tickets for family and friends.
For more information, call Faune Riggin at 651-0313 or Erin Hamm at 651-0964.