- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Laci Peterson's mother files suit to bar profits from daughter
MODESTO, Calif. -- The mother of Laci Peterson has filed a lawsuit seeking to bar Scott Peterson from making a profit in the death of his wife and unborn child.
The lawsuit, filed Friday in Stanislaus County Superior Court, asks a judge to transfer any income stemming from the high-profile murder case or from the sale of publishing rights -- such as a book or movie deal -- to a trust account held for the "victims beneficiaries."
Scott Peterson is charged with two counts of murder in the deaths of Laci Peterson and their son, Conner.
He could face the death penalty if convicted.