- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Mary Elizabeth Rice, 86, of Cape Girardeau died Friday, June 20, 2003, at the Missouri Veterans Home.
She was born June 23, 1916, in Clarkton, Mo., daughter of Arthur Van and Dorothy Dona Dickey Rice.
She served in the U.S. Army from 1943 to 1963, and was stationed overseas in Italy and Germany. She served as auditing supervisor from 1959 to 1963 at Fort Leonard Wood and was mayor of Clarkton for two terms.
She taught high school in Wardell, Mo., for 22 years, and was a graduate of Southeast Missouri State University.
Survivors include a brother, Arthur Van Rice Jr. of Clarkton; a sister, Marthann Staples of Piggott, Ark.
A graveside funeral service will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Bloomfield Veterans Cemetery, with the Revs. Susan Sides and Jack Allen officiating.
Ford & Sons Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.