- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Herbert Henry Schlegel, 88, of Cape Girardeau died Saturday, May 5, 2007, at Chateau Girardeau Health Center.
He was born Aug. 25, 1918, in Cape Girar-deau, son of George and Emma Grossheider Schlegel. He and Ora Helen Withers were married Aug. 24, 1940, in Cape Girar-deau. She died Sept. 30, 2001.
Schlegel was a dairy farmer in the Jackson area, later worked at Horton Sales, and was a custom drapery installer with Rust and Martin before retiring in the mid-1980s. He was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church.
Survivors include a son, Jerry L. Schlegel of Jackson; two daughters, Janet R. Kindle of Henderson, Ky., Betty Doza of Mill Valley, Calif.; a brother, Norbert Schlegel of Cape Girardeau; six grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by two brothers.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home and from 9 a.m. to service time Thursday at Trinity Lutheran Church.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at the church, with the Rev. Douglas C. Breite officiating. Burial will be in Cape County Memorial Park.