- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Learning briefs 5/8/07
Students win essay, poem, poster contest
The Cape Girardeau County Area Medical Society held its annual "Smoking is Not For Me" essay contest for grades six through eight. Students wrote essays and poems and drew posters to show why they don't smoke. In essays, winners were Skyler Zimmerman of Woodland, first place; Christin Green of Woodland, second; and Mathew Yuede of Deer Creek, third. In drawings, winners were Lydia Meece of Jackson, first place; Emily Sheets of Trinity Lutheran, second; and Lindsey Seabaugh of Nell Holcomb, third. In poems, winners were Kristen Dippold of Trinity Lutheran, first place; Jake Frey of Scott City, second; and Chelsea Graham of Deer Creek, third.
Jackson teen wins 2007 agriculture award
David Gholson of Jackson High School has received the 2007 DeKalb Agricultural Accomplishment Award. He was recognized for excellence in academics, leadership and agricultural work experience. He also was named a United States National Award winner in agriculture by the United States Achievement Academy. He is the son of Gary and Barb Gholson.
n Rachel Kahle of Jackson has been awarded a Regents' Scholarship to attend Southeast Missouri State University for the 2007-2008 academic year. Kahle, a senior at Jackson High School, is the daughter of Mike and Terri Kahle.
* Rachel Poythress of Jackson has been awarded a Missouri Leadership Award and a Girls State Leadership Award to attend Southeast Missouri State University. A senior at Jackson High School, she is the daughter of Roger and Bonnie Poythress.
* Missouri State University recently awarded scholarships to the following area students: Cape Girardeau -- Aimee Ha, Jared Roop and Kristin Shirrell, Board of Governors scholarships; Brett Heischmidt, Presidential Scholarship; Claire Bira, Kaci Westrich, Megan Ruth and Tyler Yeargain, academic scholarships; Jackson -- Amanda Craven, Christopher Shelton and Jessica Barton, Board of Governors scholarships; Jordan Buchheit and Mark Feiner, academic scholarships; Clever, Mo. -- Samantha Roussel, formerly of Cape Girardeau, academic and MSU Leadership scholarships.
The local Ronald McDonald Foundation has awarded a $2,500 grant to Immaculate Conception School in Jackson. The national Ronald McDonald Foundation is matching the grant, for a total of $5,000 to purchase additional instruments for the school's music department. In addition, the Missouri Knights of Columbus has awarded $1,000 to the school to benefit the music department.
-- From staff reports