- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)18
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Virtual school registration begins Monday
State education officials will start accepting applications Monday at 8 a.m. for Missouri's new virtual school, offering online elementary and high school classes starting in August.
The online registration process will close on May 29 at 8 a.m. Applications must be submitted through the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's Web site, officials said.
The Missouri Virtual Instruction Program was authorized by state law last year. Private vendors selected by the state will offer the online courses. Classes will be taught by teachers who hold Missouri licenses, DESE spokesman Jim Morris said.
State funds will pay for the MoVIP courses for about 2,500 full- and part-time students. Students will be selected through a lottery process after the May 29 application period ends, officials said.
At the elementary level, courses will be available in communication arts, math, science, social studies, art, music, Spanish, French and technology literacy.
High school courses include English, algebra, geometry, biology, chemistry, American and world history, economics, Spanish and Latin; plus Advanced Placement courses in English literature, calculus, physics, U.S. history and art history.
On the Net