- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Prosecutors suggest 45 days in jail for Paris Hilton for violating her probation
LOS ANGELES -- Paris Hilton should be jailed for 45 days for violating terms of her probation for an alcohol-related reckless driving conviction, city prosecutors say.
In documents filed Monday in Superior Court, prosecutors said they also want Hilton to stay away from alcohol for 90 days and wear a monitoring device that will chart whether she complies. And they are seeking to have her license suspended for an additional four months.
The recommendation will be reviewed by a judge when Hilton appears for a probation violation hearing today. The judge can accept it or impose a different penalty. The maximum penalty is 90 days in jail.
Hilton, 26, pleaded no contest in January to reckless driving stemming from a Sept. 7 arrest in Hollywood. She was sentenced to 36 months probation, alcohol education and $1,500 in fines.
She was pulled over by California Highway Patrol on Jan. 15. Officers informed Hilton she was driving on a suspended license and she signed a document acknowledging she was not to drive, according to court papers. She was pulled over by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies Feb. 27 for speeding and driving without her headlights, at which time she was charged with violating her probation.
Hilton's spokesman, Elliot Mintz, said at the time she wasn't aware her license was suspended. A call placed Thursday to Mintz was not immediately returned.
Prosecutors say by signing the document after the first incident Hilton knew she was not allowed to drive. They also note that as of April 17 she had yet to enroll in the alcohol education program.
"These violations demonstrate Hilton's disregard for the vehicle laws of this state as well as for the conditions of her probation," the court filing said. "This court should ... include imprisonment as a condition of reinstating her probation."
Hilton, heiress to the Hilton Hotel fortune, first gained notoriety for her hard partying as a teen. She attracted worldwide attention when a sex tape she made with a boyfriend was released on the Internet.
She stars in the Fox reality-TV series, "The Simple Life," now in its fifth season, with Nicole Richie. She appeared in the 2005 film, "House of Wax" and recently finished filming "The Hottie and the Nottie." She also is a handbag designer and has a namesake perfume.