- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Cyril W. Scherer, 90, of Jackson died Thursday, May 3, 2007, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Oct. 7, 1916, at Benton, Mo., son of Joseph and Mary Walter Scherer. He first married Anita Leible, who died Feb. 2, 1988. He and Opal Laurentius were married Oct. 8, 1994.
Scherer was a truck driver with ABF Freight Line 40 years. He was a member of St. Mary's Cathedral, Knights of Columbus Council 1111 and Retired Teamsters Local 710 of Chicago.
Survivors include his wife; a son, Cyril "C.W." (Barb Lowes) Scherer Jr. of St. Louis; a daughter, Suzy (Sashi) Glasscock of Cape Girardeau; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a son, four brothers and six sisters.
Visitation will be from 4:30 to 8 p.m. today at Lorberg Memorial Funeral Chapel. Parish prayers will be at 7 p.m., followed by the Knights of Columbus rosary.
Funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Mary's Cathedral, with the Rev. Thomas Kiefer officiating. Burial will be in St. Mary's Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to St. Mary's Grade School or Notre Dame Regional High School.