- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Fire destroys garage on Benton Street
An electrical generator surrounded by old clothes and tires sparked a fire Saturday in a garage on South Benton Street in Cape Girardeau.
The old single-car garage was a total loss, said Capt. Brian Shaffer of the Cape Girardeau Fire Department.
"It was totally engulfed when we arrived," Schaffer said. Firefighters were called to the scene shortly after noon.
The generator was being used to provide power to the home at 808 S. Benton St., which had no utility service, Schaffer said. A 60-foot extension cord was used to convey the power to the kitchen of the home.
Firefighers were uncertain what sparked the fire, Schaffer said, but "there were a lot of combustibles mounted around the generator. There was minor damage to the exterior of the house near the garage where the siding was starting to melt."