- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
PERRYVILLE, Mo. -- Gildard A. Ponder, 86, of Perryville died Friday, April 27, 2007, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
He was born June 9, 1920, at McBride, Mo., son of Roman W. and Clara Bohnert Ponder. He and Iva Gibbar were married April 26, 1939.
Ponder retired as a maintenance worker with U.S. Postal Service. He was a member of American Legion Post 133, AmVets Post 4282 and Perryville Eagles Aerie.
He was a U.S. Navy veteran of World War II.
Survivors include his wife; two daughters, Arlene Bein of Palm Harbor, Fla., Carol Hudson of Perryville; a son, Richard Ponder of O'Fallon, Mo.; three sisters, Frances Lakenan of Lithium, Mo., Trula Moonier of Perryville, Gerlain Hall of St. Charles, Mo.; eight grandchildren; 17 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a sister and three brothers.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday and from 6:30 a.m. to service time Monday at Young and Sons Funeral Home. An American Legion wake will be held at 7 p.m. Sunday.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Monday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Alphonse Hoernig officiating. Burial will be in Mount Hope Cemetery with graveside rites by American Legion Post 133.