- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Health news 4/26/07
Workshop helps couples prepare for pregnancy
Saint Francis Medical Center is offering a workshop for area couples designed to help them develop a plan to minimize potential health risks before pregnancy. "Steps for a Healthy Pregnancy" will be from 8 a.m. to noon May 12 in the Franciscan Room next to the hospital's cafeteria. Topics include preconception health, pregnancy and exercise, nutrition before, during and after pregnancy, and financial issues. There will also be a tour of Saint Francis' Family BirthPlace, Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Children's Center. For more information or to register for the workshop, call 331-5107.
'Pennies from Heaven' benefit auction May 4
Nearly two dozen gift baskets built around a variety of themes and dozens of other items will be auctioned off at the Southeast Missouri Hospital Foundation's 13th annual "Pennies from Heaven" benefit auction May 4. The event will be held at the Arena Building. Doors open at 5 p.m. with the silent auction beginning at 5:30 p.m. The oral auction begins at 7:30 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public. Offered for the first time this year is a catered dinner, which will be held from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Dinner tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Concessions will be available from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. In the auction's 13-year history, more than $203,800 has been raised to benefit patient care services at Southeast Missouri Hospital. For more information or to purchase tickets, call 334-9254.
Saint Francis offers free stroke screening
Saint Francis Medical Center will provide free stroke screening and risk assessment from 9 a.m. to noon May 19 at the Healing Arts Center lobby. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 331-5877.
Cholesterol and glucose screenings for Cape Girar-deau County residents ages 60 and older at New McKendree United Methodist Church in Jackson, 8 to 10:30 a.m. To schedule an appointment, call Southeast Missouri Hospital's Generations Center at 651-5825.
Newborn massage program for parents and newborns at Southeast Missouri Hospital's Generations Family Resource Center, 10 to 11 a.m. To register, call 651-5825.
Ask Your Doctor, local health-care providers discuss medical issues and welcome questions from viewers who can call the show live at 334-3095, 8 to 9 p.m., cable Channel 5. This week's program will feature Dr. Hugh R. Protzel.
Kids Extravaganza: Health, Safety and Fitness Fair at HealthPoint Fitness Center in Jackson, 9 a.m. to noon. For more information, call 243-2211.
American Red Cross blood drive at Woodland High School, 2 to 7 p.m. Free T-shirt for all donors.
Recognition and prevention of a stroke informational program at Southeast Missouri Hospital's Harrison Room, 6:30 to 8 p.m. To register, call 651-5825.
-- From staff reports