- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Cape man accused of secretly recording women, posting to porn site (11/22/17)
- Thankful People: Kirsten Strebe recovers from traumatic car accident, brain injury (11/23/17)
- Cape attorney Brandon Cooper to run for judge (11/20/17)2
- Thankful People: Moore family counts its blessing after harrowing accident (11/23/17)
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Deal Finder brings 'unique' shopping to Cape Girardeau (11/24/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- 1 dead, 3 hurt in accident on Highway 72 (11/19/17)
Don't let politics shadow support for our freedoms
To the editor:
When World War II was declared, people went together and fought the war here. We gathered aluminum. We bought war bonds. We did without shoes, sugar, tires and other things. We did these things willingly. The country was behind the war almost 100 percent.
I also remember several boys being sent home to be buried. This was very sad, but most people new it was for the purpose of saving our country. At the end of the war we thought we would never let a vicious person kill people again.
Today we are attacking the president because there is an election coming up. We are throwing away the need we have for saving our country. If the people continue to bash the president, our country will be nothing within 20 years.
The war is terrible, but the Bible speaks of wars and rumors of wars. This seems to be necessary to keep our country a democracy. Surely the election is not as important as saving our country. We need to forget politics until the dangerous times we are experiencing are over. Forget Republican and Democrat. Think freedom.
ANNA JEAN COFFMAN