- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Accident kills Cape Girardeau man
A Cape Girardeau man was killed Thursday night and three other Cape Girardeau residents injured in a single-car accident on County Road 318, two miles east of Jackson.
Robert Garcia-Lopez, 24, was one of three occupants in a 1993 Ford driven by Juan P. Vargus, 24, that was eastbound on the road at about 9:50 p.m., according to a Missouri State Highway Patrol report.
The report states the driver failed to negotiate a curve and ran off the roadway, striking a tree.
Garcia-Lopez was pronounced dead at the scene by Cape Girardeau County Coroner John Clifton at 10:50 p.m.
Vargus and occupant Jose M. Gomez-Alvarez, 20, were taken by ambulance to St. Francis Medical Center with serious injuries, the MSHP report said.
A third occupant, Ruben Garcia-Sanchez, 20, was also taken to Saint Francis Medical Center with moderate injuries, the report said.
Garcia-Lopez was the only occupant wearing a seat belt, the report said.
Check back at www.semissourian.com for more details or read Friday's Southeast Missourian.