- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
GRAND CHAIN, Ill. -- Robert E. Nicholson, 82, of Grand Chain died Tuesday, April 17, 2007, at his home.
He was born March 28, 1925, in Millsboro, Pa., son of George and Violet Hall Nicholson. He married Wilma Dietz.
Nicholson had been manager of G.C. Murphy Co. in Greensburg, Ind. He was a master Mason and received degrees in York Rite and Scottish Rite through Harmony AF&AM Lodge 8 in Urbana, Ohio.
He was a member of Grand Chain AF&AM Lodge 660, Ainad Shrine Temple in East St. Louis, Ill., Decatur County Shrine Club in Greensburg, Oasis Shrine Club in Anna, Ill., and a life member of KIM Shrine Club in Cairo, Ill. He served with the hospital unit of Shriner's Children's Hospital in St. Louis, and was a life member of Anna American Legion Post.
Nicholson was an assistant scoutmaster with Anna Troop 44, and past scoutmaster of Greensburg Troop 571. He was active in a barbershop quartet in Indiana.
He was a U.S. Marine Corps veteran of World War II.
Survivors include his wife; two daughters, Suzan Partridge of Grand Chain, Tracey Turner of Waldron, Ind.; two sons, Courtney Nicholson of Cairo, Doug Nicholson of Belleville, Ill.; a brother, George Nicholson of Tucson, Ariz.; and five grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a brother.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Barkett Funeral Home in Cairo. Masonic rites will be at 7 by Grand Chain and Cairo lodges.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Friday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Tammy Horn officiating. Burial will be in Anna City Cemetery at Anna, Ill., with military honors provided by Carroll P. Foster VFW Post 3455 of Anna.