Surgery on injured N.J. governor's leg successful

Sunday, April 15, 2007
New Jersey Gov. Jon S. Corzine listens to a question Monday, April 9, 2007, in Trenton, N.J. Corzine was injured Thursday night, April 12, in a two-car accident on the Garden State Parkway, but a spokesman said his injuries were not considered life-threatening. (AP Photo/Mel Evans)

CAMDEN, N.J. -- Surgery on Gov. Jon S. Corzine's injured leg was successful Saturday, while state police said the driver blamed for the wreck that critically injured the governor had been found but would not be charged.

Corzine's recovery was progressing better than doctors expected, said Dr. Steven Ross, head of trauma at Cooper University Hospital. Doctors cleaned a 6-inch wound during surgery on his left thigh.

The governor is not able to speak and not aware of his surroundings because of his heavy sedation. He is expected to remain on a ventilator until at least Monday, doctors said.

"He awakens, answers to simple 'yes or no' questions about pain," Ross said. "He won't remember much of what is going on at this point."

Corzine was hurt Thursday when the sport utility vehicle he was riding in was clipped by a vehicle that swerved to avoid a red pickup truck that officials said was being driven erratically. Corzine's vehicle slammed into a guard rail along the Garden State Parkway in Galloway Township, near Atlantic City.

The 20-year-old driver, whom police found the night after Thursday's crash at an Atlantic City casino where he works, won't be charged with leaving the scene of an accident, State Police Capt. Al Della Fave said.

Authorities left the door open for other charges to be filed, however, saying the investigation was not yet complete.

A state official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to speak publicly, said the driver was a "special needs driver" who may have a mental impairment.

Corzine -- who was riding in a sport utility vehicle driven by a state trooper and headed to a meeting between radio show host Don Imus and the Rutgers women's basketball team -- apparently was not wearing his seat belt, as required by law.

The governor's femur bone was broken in two places, and it protruded through his skin. He also suffered a broken sternum, 12 broken ribs, a head laceration and a minor fracture on a lower vertebra, according to doctors at Cooper University Hospital in Camden, where he was flown by helicopter after the crash. Corzine, 60, did not appear to suffer any brain damage.

His injuries were not considered life-threatening, but doctors say the governor faces lengthy rehabilitation.

And it will likely be at least three to six months before he can walk normally.

A similar surgery to clean out Corzine's femur was planned again Monday, Dr. Robert F. Ostrum said.

Tom Shea, the governor's chief of staff, said he was hopeful Corzine could resume his duties in "a week or so," depending on doctor recommendations. Shea said it was possible Corzine would govern from his hospital bed.

Corzine was moved to the trauma intensive care unit after surgery Thursday night and remained in critical but stable condition Saturday.

Senate President Richard Codey officially became acting governor Thursday evening after getting a fax from Corzine's office saying the governor had been injured.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: