- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Community digest 4/5/07
No dance to be held at Elks Lodge Friday night
In observance of Good Friday there will be no dance at the Elks Lodge Friday. The next dance will be April 20.
Coalition for Peace and Justice meets tonight
The Southeast Missouri Coalition for Peace and Justice will meet at 7 p.m. today at Grace Cafe in Cape Girardeau.
Annual Spring Yard Sale benefits seniors' meals
A spring yard sale will be held from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Chaffee Senior Center, 800 S. Main St. in Chaffee, Mo. Proceeds will benefit the Senior Citizen Meals on Wheels Program in Chaffee.
Cape Girardeau County Republican Women meet
The next meeting of the Cape Girardeau County Republican Women's Club will be held at 11:45 a.m. Friday at Dexter Bar-B-Que, 236 S. Broadview St. in Cape Girardeau. A presentation on the flu epidemic will be given by David Hitt, coordinator Cape Girardeau County, EMA/E911. The public is invited to attend. For more information, contact public relations chairwoman Connie Hanner at 450-3550.
Missouri Job Corps to hold open house
The Missouri Job Corps Office, servicing youths 16 to 24, will hold an open house from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday at 2711 Thomas Drive, Suite 104, in Cape Girardeau. For more information, call 339-7601.
Cape County Women's Democrat Cub to meet
The Cape Girardeau County Women's Democrat Club will hold a meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Cape Girardeau County Administrative Building in Jackson. A presentation on identity theft will be given by guest speaker Barry Hovis.
Sigma Sigma Sigma celebrates anniversary
Members of the Beta Xi chapter of Sigma Sigma Sigma, a National Panhellenic Conference Sorority at Southeast Missouri State University, will hold a luncheon at 1:30 p.m. April 22 at Bella Italia to celebrate the sorority's 109th anniversary. The annual Founders Day program will follow. Sigma Sigma Sigma was founded in 1898 at Longwood College in Farmville, Va. The sorority supports play therapy for hospitalized children and assists in providing playrooms for hospitalized children in Chapel Hill, N.C., and Dallas, Texas, through funds contributed to the Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation. Founders Day Program chairman Jennifer Belmar is taking reservations at email@example.com, or call Marcy Emmons at 651-9015. All area Tri Sigma collegians and alumnae are encouraged to attend.
-- From staff reports