- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
SIKESTON, Mo. -- Joel Grant Buchanan Sr., 82, died Tuesday, April 3, 2007, at Sells Rest Home in Matthews, Mo.
He was born Oct. 4, 1924, at Caruthersville, Mo., son of Melvin Gilbert and Mattie Lula Little Buchanan. He and Betty Sue Roberts were married March 26, 1944. She died Sept. 19, 1997. He and Rosa Abernathy were married Dec. 19, 1998.
Buchanan was a self-employed farmer until 1972, and later owned and operated Sikeston Safe Co. until retiring. He was a member of First Christian Church.
He was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II.
Survivors include his wife; a son, Joel Buchanan Jr. of Benton, Mo.; two daughters, Susan Mawyer of Richmond, Va., Linda Towery of Sikeston; seven grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by three brothers, four sisters and a grandson.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at Ponder Funeral Home in Sikeston.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at First Christian Church, with the Rev. Mary McCord officiating. Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery at Sikeston with full military honors.