Thursday, April 5, 2007
* Jackson Legion tryouts: The Jackson American Legion baseball team tryouts will be April 15. Tryouts will be 1 p.m. for the A team (eighth-graders); 3 p.m. for the AA team (freshmen and sophomores); and 5 p.m. for the AAA team (juniors and seniors). Info: Gerald Adams, 243-4199; or Mark Lewis, 334-9789.
* Cape Legion tryouts: The Cape Girardeau American Legion Post 63 baseball team will have tryouts April 22 at Capaha Field. The tryouts for the junior team (17 and under) will be 1 p.m., and the senior team (19 and under) tryouts will be at 3 p.m. Info: junior team, Kevin Crawford, 651-1359; senior team, Dave Meyr, 450-1462.
* Pitch, Hit and Run event: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will offer the Pepsi Major League Baseball Pitch, Hit and Run competition on May 12 at Arena Park's baseball field No. 6. Registration for the free event will be at 8:30 a.m.; and the competition will begin at 9:30 a.m. The national competition allows boys and girls to compete together in divisions for ages 7 and 8, 9 and 10, 11 and 12, and 13 and 14. Winners in the local competition are eligible to advance to competitions at Busch Stadium and the national finals at the All-Star Game. Info: Jared, 335-5421.
* St. Joseph tournament: The fourth annual St. Joseph Chargers Golf Classic is scheduled for April 27 at Cape Jaycee Municipal Golf Course. The event raises funds for St. Joseph Catholic School in Scott City. The registration fee is $85 per player and includes cart, greens fees, lunch, dinner and beverages. The format is a four-person scramble. The registration deadline is April 16. Info: (573) 264-2600.
* SEMO booster tourney: The SEMO Booster Club golf tournament will be May 7 at Cape Girardeau Country Club. The entry for the 18-hole, six-person scramble is $90 per person or $540 per team. The entry fee deadline is May 1. The event includes lunch prior to the 12:30 p.m. start. Info: Joella, 651-2005.
* Kimbeland 3-person scramble: Kimbeland will host a three-person scramble April 14 and 15. The event will have an 8 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. shotgun start. Cost is $50 per person and does not include cart. Info: pro shop, 243-3923.
* Paul Boyd's charity tourney: The third annual Paul Boyd Children's Charity Golf Tournament will be May 7 at Dalhousie Golf Club. The entry fee for the four-person scramble is $125 per person. Proceeds benefit the Southeast Missouri Network Against Sexual Violence, a child advocacy center that provides forensic care, advocacy and counseling to victims of child abuse and sexual assault. Starting times are 8 a.m. or 1:30 p.m. Register online at www.semonasv.org. Info: Kelly, 332-1900.
* CAYSA registration: The Cape Area Youth Soccer Association will offer pre-registration for the fall season from 9 a.m. to noon April 14 at the Shawnee Soccer Park concession stand. Anybody planning to play soccer in the fall of 2007 can register at this time and be assured of being placed on a team. The cost is $20 for pre-kindergarten and $30 for grades 1 through 8. CAYSA offers family discounts for those that have more than one child playing.
* Barracudas registration: The Jackson Barracudas swim team will have registration from 1 to 4 p.m. April 21 and April 28 at Riverside Library in Jackson. A meeting for parents will be 3 to 4 p.m. April 28. Info: Kellie Flynn, (573) 243-6096.
* Dolphins registration: The Scott City Dolphins swim team will have registration for boys and girls ages 6 to 18 who wish to join the team. The registration will be 4:30 to 6 p.m. April 12 and 5 to 6:30 p.m. April 25 at the Scott City High School cafeteria. Info: Christy Bohn, (573) 264-3980, or Mark Castleman, 334-0208.