- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Southwest Missouri boy accidentally killed with rifle
HOUSTON, Mo. (AP) -- A 9-year-old Roby boy was accidentally shot and killed by his brother Saturday with a rifle their grandfather had left out as protection during a search for a murder suspect.
The victim's 13-year-old brother accidentally shot him Saturday, Texas County Coroner Tom Whittaker said.
No foul play is suspected. The names of the family have not been released and no new information was available Monday. The boys' grandfather had left his rifle by the front door as a precaution while authorities search for Neldon Neal.
Neal, 60, is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Judy Lewis, 51, after a fight last Tuesday in their trailer home near the rural community of Roby.
The boys and their mother had been staying with the grandfather for the past few months, Whittaker said.
Information from: Springfield News-Leader, http://www.springfieldnews-leader.com