- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
LaVerna Maxine Spain Baker, 90, of Cape Girardeau died Wednesday, March 14, 2007, at Southeast Missouri Hospital.
She was born Dec. 8, 1916, in Anna, Ill., daughter of Robert J. and Docha Williams Spain. She and Virgil Baker were married Aug. 21, 1935, in Marble Hill, Mo. He died June 20, 1970.
She was a member of Centenary United Methodist Church, Woodford Circle UMW. She moved to Cape Girardeau from Carbondale, Ill. She worked at Wille's Bakery and in the bakery at Storey's Food Giant. She had been a member of Beta Sigma Phi sorority 50 years.
She is survived by a son, William Baker and wife Patricia of Cape Girardeau; a daughter, Patricia Thomas and husband John of Farmington, Mo.; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents; a son, Virgil Lee Baker Jr.; two brothers; and a sister.
Friends may call from 9 a.m. to service time Saturday at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with Karen Mustoe officiating. Burial will be in Oakland Cemetery in Carbondale.
Memorials may be made to the Humane Society of Southeast Missouri.