- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Ruth A. Buckhannon memorial scholarship for Scott County set up
An annual scholarship has been set up through the First Baptist Church of Chaffee, Mo., to be awarded to a 2007 graduating senior of any Scott County high school who plans to become a registered nurse. The amount of the scholarship is $4,000.
This is the first year for the scholarship in memory of Ruth A. Buckhannon, who died in November 2003.
Buckhannon was a lifetime member of the First Baptist Church in Chaffee. She graduated from Chaffee High School in 1926, and attended Will Mayfield College in Marble Hill, Mo.
When she had to leave college during the Great Depression to help at home, she went to work at the local bank in Chaffee and became their first female bank teller and later assistant cashier. After marrying and having children, she served as financial secretary at her church for 34 years.
Buckhannon took care of her husband in their home for more than 10 years after he suffered a debilitating stroke, and also raised four young daughters.
Buckhannon was active with the youth of her church and the community, and was a piano teacher for many years.
How to apply
In addition to a completed application, applicants are required to submit two letters of recommendation from nonrelatives and write an essay describing why they want to become a registered nurse and why they should be awarded the Ruth A. Buckhannon Memorial RN Scholarship.
The deadline for completed applications is April 16. The scholarship committee consists of the pastor, selected members of First Baptist Church of Chaffee, and Darla D. Buckhannon.