- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Vernie McDaniel, 92, of St. Louis died Wednesday, March 7, 2007, after a brief illness.
She was born Aug. 4, 1914, at Burfordville, daughter of Otis and Clara Hood Proffer. She and LeRoy McDaniel were married March 7, 1936. He died in May 1975.
Her mother passed away when she was five years old, and she was raised by her grandparents. She and her family moved to St. Louis in 1942, where she was employed for some 20 years.
A three-time cancer survivor, she was an active volunteer for the St. Louis Peregrine Society many years, serving as a Peregram Lady, a Tag Day volunteer, and in many other capacities. She was a member of three Peregrine sewing groups, St. Paul UCC, Epiphany Lutheran Church, and Trinity UCC.
Mrs. McDaniel was a member of a local AARP chapter and a member of the Harmonizers, a group that entertained at many retirement homes. She also volunteered at Harmony Baptist Food Pantry.
She was a member of Jewel Baptist Church, Deborah Sunday School Class, and Missouri Baptist Medical Center Auxiliary.
Survivors include a daughter and son-in-law, Margie and Jerry Bishop of St. Louis; three half sisters, Lillie Davie and Wanda Winschell of Cape Girardeau, Clela Yamnitz of Columbia, Mo., and a stepsister, Violet Williams of Perryville, Mo.
Visitation will be from 3 to 8 p.m. Sunday at Kutis South County Chapel, 5255 Lemay Ferry Road (at Butler Hill).
The service will be at 1 p.m. Monday at the chapel. Interment will be in National Cemetery.
Memorials to St. Louis Peregrine Society Inc., 2343 Hampton, St. Louis, Mo., 63139, will be appreciated.