- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Out of the past 9/8/03
10 years ago: Sept. 8, 1993
Al Stoverink, Cape Girardeau's assistant city manager since 1988, will become director of physical plant at Southeast Missouri State University on Oct. 1; hiring announcement was made by university yesterday, after two-month candidate search that attracted 70 applicants.
General Sign Co., nationally recognized firm that has operated in Cape Girardeau for more than half-century, is under new ownership; new owner is Starbeam Electrical Supply of St. Louis, interior graphic company; Starbeam and General Sign are just two of several companies owned by Adolphus Orthwein; General Sign was founded by Lon Maxey in 1939.
25 years ago: Sept. 8, 1978
Plans for petition drive aimed at putting before voters proposal to levy property tax in five area counties to support operations of St. Francis Mental Health Center have been announced by supporters; proposed rate is 10 cents per $100 valuation; it had been hoped that proposition could be put on ballot next April, but it may be 1980 before proposal is voted on, depending upon whether sufficient number of signatures can be found on petitions.
Development plans for one of city's largest acreage tracts, old Emil J. Meyer farm at 1200 Kingsway, have been submitted to city by Charles N. Harris and C.F. Rudesill; it is proposed that land be developed as exclusive residential section to be known as Charlestown Estates.
50 years ago: Sept. 8, 1953
Several Negro pupils present themselves at three white schools in morning seeking enrollment and are refused admission; six children, accompanied by the Rev. George Bell, Negro minister, report at new Central High School for admission on first day of classes of new term; four others go to Junior High School and either three or four more to Washington School.
Projected construction of 2,150-foot suspension bridge over Mississippi River between Wittenberg and Grand Tower, Ill., to carry natural gas pipelines of Texas Illinois Natural Gas Pipeline Co., is announced by firm; to be completed in two years, span will supplement present underwater lines and will eliminate hazard of river current.
75 years ago: Sept. 8, 1928
Plans for construction of building on South Sprigg Street to be used as cleaning and pressing establishment are announced by G.L. Heyde, who formerly was engaged in milling business in Lutesville; building will be built on lot which has 56-foot frontage on Sprigg and is 180 feet deep; building will be opposite St. Mary's Catholic Church.
East wall of building occupied by Polack plumbing shop on Broadway, weakened by excavation for new Montgomery Ward & Co. building adjacent on east, is partially torn down to prevent its collapse; wall had shifted several inches during past few days and was considered dangerous to workers.
-- Sharon K. Sanders