- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Area digest 2/26/07
Friedheim winsdartball crown
This time, it's Friedheim ... wire to wire.
Friedheim, the New York Yankees of the Cape-Perry Lutheran Laymen's League of Dartball with more than half of the league's regular-season titles since 1988-89, followed up this year's regular-season crown with the tournament championship.
Friedheim won last year's regular season but didn't win the tournament title.
Dartball is scored like baseball, with players throwing darts at a large baseball-field like dartboard to achieve the results of their at-bats.
Hanover finished second, Crosstown was third and Perryville placed fourth.
Friedheim's Mike Rhode had the most RBIs in the tournament with 18.
Willie Kasten of Uniontown topped the tournament's batting charts with a .536 average, and teammate Karl Kasten had the top slugging percentage at 1.325.
Groves earns Big 12 honor in track and field
Scott City graduate Loren Groves was named the Big 12 track and field athlete of the week for her performance in the weight throw at the Kansas State Open on Feb. 15.
Groves set a meet record with a throw of 65 feet, 11 inches. The Kansas State sophomore owns the top throw in the Big 12 this year and is ranked No. 4 in the nation.
-- From staff reports.