- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Four injured in single-car accident near Fruitland
A single-vehicle accident Sunday sent one woman to the hospital with serious injuries, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol. Three others also sustained minor injuries.
Joseph M. Jones, 26, of Villa Ridge, Mo., was southbound on Interstate 55 at about 10:47 a.m. two miles south of Fruitland when the 2004 Jeep he was driving ran off the roadway, struck an embankment and overturned, a MSHP report said.
Jones and passengers Joseph H. Jones, 22, of Pacific Mo., and a 5-year-old boy of Villa Ridge also sustained minor injuries, the report said.
Deborah K. Jones, 26, of Villa Ridge, also a passenger, was seriously injured. Her leg had become trapped under the dashboard on the passenger side of the vehicle, said Cape Girardeau Fire Department Capt. Steve Niswonger. The fire department responded to the scene to extricate Deborah Jones. The Fruitland Fire Department and the MSHP also responded.
All four were transported to Saint Francis Medical Center, the report said, and citations are pending..
According to the MSHP, only the child was wearing a safety device.