- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
ORAN, Mo. -- Floyd R. McConnell, 88, of Oran died Saturday, Feb. 24, 2007, at his son's home in Scott City.
He was born on Oct. 13, 1918, at Cabot, Ark., the son of Eddie Cleveland and Buleah Stephenson McConnell.
He owned and operated McConnell's Garage in Oran for 44 years. He was a veteran of World War II, serving in the Army. He received several military awards including the Bronze Star, Oak Leaf Cluster and the Purple Heart.
He was a member of VFW Post 5368 in Morley, Mo. He was a 50-year member of the Cape Girardeau Disabled American Veterans Chapter No. 16 and of Guardian Angel Catholic Church in Oran.
He married Sylvia M. Hooker on Jan. 30, 1940. She preceded him in death on May 29, 2006.
Survivors include two sons, Merlin (Johnetta) McConnell of Scott City and Eddie (Rebecca) McConnell of Oran; two brothers, Paul (Ruby) McConnell and Louis McConnell, both of Dexter, Mo.; four grandchildren, Van (Angela) McConnell of Oran, Ginger (Brent) Rampley of Benton, Mo., Lance (Cindy) McConnell of Jackson and Tim (Lesli) McConnell of Scott City; two stepgrandchildren, Lisa (Richard) Scherer of Benton, and Lorena (Steve) Gehardt of Oran; seven great-grandchildren, Paige, Jade and Ty Rampley, all of Benton, Jacob McConnell of Jackson, Drew McConnell of Scott City and Molly and Mac McConnell of Oran.
Besides his wife, he was preceded in death by a daughter-in-law, Lynda McConnell; three brothers and three sisters.
Friends may call from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. today at Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Oran. Parish prayers will be held at 7 tonight.
Funeral service will be held on Monday at 10 a.m. at the Guardian Angel Catholic Church in Oran.
The Rev. John Harth will officiate. Burial will be in the Missouri State Veterans Cemetery in Bloomfield, Mo., with full military rites.
Pallbearers will be Lance McConnell, Tim McConnell, Van McConnell, Mac McConnell, Jacob McConnell, Brent Rampley and Ty McConnell.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Southeast Hospice.