- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)44
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Laura D. Birk, 97, of St. Louis died Thursday, Sept. 4, 2003.
She was born Oct. 9, 1905, in Cape Girardeau, daughter of W.F. and Anna Brunke Bender. She married Reman Birk, who preceded her in death.
Birk had been a member of Parent Teachers Association and Ladies Aid Society. She had lived in St. Louis since 1952.
Survivors include a son, Raymond (Betty) Birk of Florissant, Mo.; a daughter, Marge (Roy) Volker of St. Peters, Mo.; two sisters, Ruth Bender and Irma Gillula of Cape Girardeau; a brother, Arthur (Mary Jo) Bender of Cape Girardeau; nine grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by a sister, Olga Bender, and a brother, Walter Bender.
The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at Trinity Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau. Burial will be in Cape County Memorial Park.
Friends may call at the church Sunday from 1 p.m. until time of service.
The Funeral Solution in Florissant is in charge of arrangements.