- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Jackson's Schumacher wins opening match
Jackson junior Jamie Schumacher was the lone area wrestler to win an opening match Thursday at the state wrestling meet at Mizzou Arena in Columbia, but none of the five wrestlers were eliminated on the opening day of the meet.
Schumacher picked up an 8-5 decision over Nathan Fine in the 145-pound weight class in Class 4. Jackson senior Will Perry dropped a 12-6 decision to Drae Cox in his opener, but came back to pin Corbin Haughenberry in a wrestleback match.
Indians sophomore Blake Peiffer was pinned in a 215-pound match by two-time state champion Deron Winn in the opening round. Peiffer came back to pin Mike Mattli in his wrestleback.
Central's two returning all-state seniors each suffered one-point losses in the opening round. Tyler Yeargain lost 12-11 to Jordan Young at 130 pounds. Garrett New fell 3-2 to Chris Duncan at 152 pounds.
Yeargain picked up a 13-4 major decision over Mikey Shortell in a wrestleback, and New pinned Joe Crowder in his wrestleback.
Wrestling resumes today.