- Updated: Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/21/16)4
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)1
MDA telethon is a huge success
In times of economic uncertainty, philanthropic organizations that depend on the generosity of donors tend to share the financial pinch. So it is particularly heartwarming to see that people in this part of the country strongly support charitable causes.
This was certainly the case with the Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon last Monday at Auffenberg Autopark in Cape Girardeau, which was televised on KFVS-TV. The telethon was part of the national Labor Day telethon.
Last year, the local telethon raised $393,609. Each year, it's always a challenge to meet the giving levels of the previous year. But this year's telethon raised $422,429, setting a new milestone.
The telethon raises money to fund research aimed at conquering neuromuscular diseases that affect more than a million Americans. Area folks can take pride in the level of their contributions this year to that effort. A hearty thank you to everyone who made the telethon such a success.