- Polar Plunge, Special Olympics bring athletes together (02/09/16)
- Volunteers, horses bring joy in the face of challenges (02/08/16)
- Black History Month events highlight many topics (02/07/16)
- Catholic Schools Week celebrates knowledge, faith (02/05/16)
- Cookie Spree back at First Friday (02/05/16)
- Local athletes recognized by newspaper (02/04/16)
- Cape chamber honors businesses, individuals (02/03/16)
- Cape native brings world-renowned Elvis act to casino (02/02/16)
MDA telethon is a huge success
In times of economic uncertainty, philanthropic organizations that depend on the generosity of donors tend to share the financial pinch. So it is particularly heartwarming to see that people in this part of the country strongly support charitable causes.
This was certainly the case with the Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon last Monday at Auffenberg Autopark in Cape Girardeau, which was televised on KFVS-TV. The telethon was part of the national Labor Day telethon.
Last year, the local telethon raised $393,609. Each year, it's always a challenge to meet the giving levels of the previous year. But this year's telethon raised $422,429, setting a new milestone.
The telethon raises money to fund research aimed at conquering neuromuscular diseases that affect more than a million Americans. Area folks can take pride in the level of their contributions this year to that effort. A hearty thank you to everyone who made the telethon such a success.