- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
MDA telethon is a huge success
In times of economic uncertainty, philanthropic organizations that depend on the generosity of donors tend to share the financial pinch. So it is particularly heartwarming to see that people in this part of the country strongly support charitable causes.
This was certainly the case with the Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon last Monday at Auffenberg Autopark in Cape Girardeau, which was televised on KFVS-TV. The telethon was part of the national Labor Day telethon.
Last year, the local telethon raised $393,609. Each year, it's always a challenge to meet the giving levels of the previous year. But this year's telethon raised $422,429, setting a new milestone.
The telethon raises money to fund research aimed at conquering neuromuscular diseases that affect more than a million Americans. Area folks can take pride in the level of their contributions this year to that effort. A hearty thank you to everyone who made the telethon such a success.