- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)8
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
- Cape police warn of 'Grandparent Scam' (12/4/16)
MDA telethon is a huge success
In times of economic uncertainty, philanthropic organizations that depend on the generosity of donors tend to share the financial pinch. So it is particularly heartwarming to see that people in this part of the country strongly support charitable causes.
This was certainly the case with the Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon last Monday at Auffenberg Autopark in Cape Girardeau, which was televised on KFVS-TV. The telethon was part of the national Labor Day telethon.
Last year, the local telethon raised $393,609. Each year, it's always a challenge to meet the giving levels of the previous year. But this year's telethon raised $422,429, setting a new milestone.
The telethon raises money to fund research aimed at conquering neuromuscular diseases that affect more than a million Americans. Area folks can take pride in the level of their contributions this year to that effort. A hearty thank you to everyone who made the telethon such a success.