- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- Cape Chinese restaurant purchases old Ponderosa property in Perryville (10/10/17)
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- One of Cape's oldest mom-and-pop restaurants opens in new location (10/10/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Ships to stay docked in Cape a week longer (10/10/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Scott City council passes measures to block treatment plant project (10/10/17)1
MDA telethon is a huge success
In times of economic uncertainty, philanthropic organizations that depend on the generosity of donors tend to share the financial pinch. So it is particularly heartwarming to see that people in this part of the country strongly support charitable causes.
This was certainly the case with the Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon last Monday at Auffenberg Autopark in Cape Girardeau, which was televised on KFVS-TV. The telethon was part of the national Labor Day telethon.
Last year, the local telethon raised $393,609. Each year, it's always a challenge to meet the giving levels of the previous year. But this year's telethon raised $422,429, setting a new milestone.
The telethon raises money to fund research aimed at conquering neuromuscular diseases that affect more than a million Americans. Area folks can take pride in the level of their contributions this year to that effort. A hearty thank you to everyone who made the telethon such a success.