- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)4
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Fla. murder suspect asks for trial delay
INVERNESS, Fla. -- Attorneys for a man accused of kidnapping, raping and then burying alive a 9-year-old girl are seeking to delay their client's murder trial.
John Couey's attorneys say the Feb. 12 trial date should be pushed back so they can question the seven witnesses added to prosecutors' list earlier this month, including a jailer who says the suspect gave him details of the slaying.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for the March 2005 slaying of Jessica Lunsford, whose body was found when Couey told authorities where to look near her Homosassa home in central Florida. Couey has pleaded not guilty to the charges of first-degree murder, sexual battery on a child, kidnapping and battery.