- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)29
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)6
Fla. murder suspect asks for trial delay
INVERNESS, Fla. -- Attorneys for a man accused of kidnapping, raping and then burying alive a 9-year-old girl are seeking to delay their client's murder trial.
John Couey's attorneys say the Feb. 12 trial date should be pushed back so they can question the seven witnesses added to prosecutors' list earlier this month, including a jailer who says the suspect gave him details of the slaying.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for the March 2005 slaying of Jessica Lunsford, whose body was found when Couey told authorities where to look near her Homosassa home in central Florida. Couey has pleaded not guilty to the charges of first-degree murder, sexual battery on a child, kidnapping and battery.