- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)8
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
To the editor:Thanks for the excellent article and a wealth of information about the progress and needs of our local schools in Sunday's Southeast Missourian. The accomplishments of the Leopold School District show us, among other things, how much it means to have the support of home and community. But I find plenty to be proud of in any of these schools.
A sad sign of our times, however, was in the data chart of district report cards from area schools. I scanned the list of school districts from top to bottom and found "State ave." at the bottom of the list. Where is the State Avenue School?
Then I got a little help from the column headings under "Ave. teacher experience" and "Ave. teacher salary." The lesson is: Don't rely on spell-check. Do your own thinking. Every source I have gives "ave." as an abbreviation for avenue and "avg." as the abbreviation for average. There is a difference.
Keep at it, kids.
KEN MOXEY, Cape Girardeau