- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
To the editor:Thanks for the excellent article and a wealth of information about the progress and needs of our local schools in Sunday's Southeast Missourian. The accomplishments of the Leopold School District show us, among other things, how much it means to have the support of home and community. But I find plenty to be proud of in any of these schools.
A sad sign of our times, however, was in the data chart of district report cards from area schools. I scanned the list of school districts from top to bottom and found "State ave." at the bottom of the list. Where is the State Avenue School?
Then I got a little help from the column headings under "Ave. teacher experience" and "Ave. teacher salary." The lesson is: Don't rely on spell-check. Do your own thinking. Every source I have gives "ave." as an abbreviation for avenue and "avg." as the abbreviation for average. There is a difference.
Keep at it, kids.
KEN MOXEY, Cape Girardeau