- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
New picks up first tourney title for Tigers wrestlers
Garrett New brought home Central's first individual tournament champion Saturday with a title at 152 pounds at the Route 141 Rumble hosted by Rockwood Summit.
New, a senior, is a two-time state qualifier for the Tigers and returning all-state wrestler. New finished as a runner-up last month at the Tiger Classic.
"What's good is this is our first tournament champion this year," Central coach Josh Crowell said. "We've had some seconds and thirds and hadn't broken through."
The tournament featured an eight-man bracket elimination round Friday, followed by round-robin wrestling Saturday morning and another eight-man bracket after that to determine the champions.
Matt Latham finished second at 135 pounds, Zach Wilson was third at 145, and Desmond Howard was fifth at 112. Latham collected his 100th win over the weekend and now has 102.
"That's a neat little milestone for him," Crowell said.
The Tigers finished 10th out of 16 teams. Pacific was first, followed by Parkway South and Parkway West.
GIRLS BASKETBALLCor Jesu 51, Central 38
Visiting Cor Jesu Academy of St. Louis County outscored Central by 12 points in the final period, hitting 11 of 15 free throws to turn back the Tigers.
Courtney Schuessler scored 13 points to lead Central (4-8), which led 22-18 at halftime and trailed 28-27 after three quarters.
Cor Jesu (5-7) made 19 of 23 free throws for the game and snapped a five-game losing streak.
COR JESU (51) -- Elizabeth Sinclair 8, Rachel Henry 9, Kelly Gorman 12, Lisa Carroll 8, Kristen Weidner 2, Natalie Plassmeyer 2, Susie Fontana 2, Ashley Poth 2, Bridget Hormberg 6. FG 16, FT 19-23, F 13. (3-pointers: none. Fouled out: none).
CENTRAL (38) -- Christina Sexton 5, Kristin Shirrell 2, Tierra Walker 1, Courtney Schuessler 13, Pernille Hoj 2, Mary Pearson 2, Taylor Kirn 2, Sarah Uptmor 4, Wendi Zickfield 7. FG 14, FT 9-13, F 19 (3-pointers: Sexton. Fouled out: Sexton).
JV -- Central won 47-33.
Jackson's girls basketball game at home against Sullivan and Notre Dame's game at St. Louis Notre Dame, both scheduled for Saturday, were canceled due to weather conditions.
-- From staff reports