Fire in Bootheel claims twin 15-month-olds

Friday, January 12, 2007

CARUTHERSVILLE, Mo. (AP) -- A space heater is being blamed in a fire that killed twin toddlers in the Missouri Bootheel.

The fire broke out Wednesday night at a home near Caruthersville. Firefighters found the blaze concentrated in the bedroom where the 15-month-old twins were asleep. They were identified as Alexis and Bradley Johnson. An initial autopsy indicated both died of smoke inhalation.

The mother, who is pregnant with another set of twins, along with the father and a 4-year-old child were able to get out.

The mother was hospitalized with burns and smoke inhalation. The home was gutted.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: