- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)18
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Community briefs 1/11/07
Volunteer meeting at Nature Center tonight
A volunteer interest meeting for the Missouri Department of Conservation will be held from 6:30 to 8 p.m. today at Cape Girardeau County Park North. Applications may be picked up then or by calling or visiting the Conservation Campus Nature Center in Cape Girardeau. New volunteers will be trained beginning next month at the center. For more information, contact the Nature Center at 290-5218.
Girl Scouts team up with Southeast gymnasts
The fourth annual Girl Power event for Girl Scouts wishing to participate in gymnastics, self-defense, archery and aerobics activities will begin at 2 p.m. Saturday at Houck Field House on the Southeast Missouri State University campus. Girl Scouts will first meet the Southeast gymnastics team and participate in gymnastics. Remaining activities, including a pep rally, will take place from 3:30 to 6 p.m. at Parker Gym and will be followed by a dinner from 6 to 7 p.m. at the field house. Scouts will have the opportunity to watch the Southeast gymnastics team in its season opener when they take on the University of Illinois-Chicago and Centenary College at 7 p.m. at the field house. Contact Sandy Vaughn at email@example.com for more information.
Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War to meet
A brief meeting of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War will be held from 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. Tuesday at the Lewis And Clark Cafe, 31-B N. Main St. The agenda includes ideas for the new year.
Library offers free Internet training
The Cape Girardeau Public Library will offer free beginner Internet training from 10 a.m. to noon Jan. 25. Registration is required. Sign up at the library reference desk or by calling adult services at 334-5279.
Earthquake awareness activity slated in Cape
An earthquake workshop has been slated for 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 6 at the Show Me Center as part of a Missouri Earthquake Awareness program. As part of the program, several events have been scheduled for the beginning of February in St. Louis, Cape Girardeau and New Madrid and include sessions on safety measures to protect people, homes and businesses and how to create an understanding of earthquake, flood and tornado hazards.
Mouse races to benefit Immaculate Conception
Doors and betting windows will open at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 23 for Immaculate Conception School's "Cheese Hill Down Mouse Races" to benefit the school. Races start at 7:30 p.m. at Knights of Columbus upper hall in Jackson. A Lenten fish fry will precede the races in the lower hall. Draft beer, soda and snacks will be provided, and there will be a cash bar. DJ and dance will follow the races. Participants must be 21 to attend. Advanced tickets can be purchased at B and B Door, Direct Line Marketing, the Knights of Columbus Hall in Jackson, Immaculate Conception School and church offices and Brugger Auto Sales. For more information, call Mike and Amy Beussink at 243-6455.
-- From staff reports