- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)23
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Kelly, Oran reach semifinals at Scott-Miss event
The Hawks play Scott County Central tonight after Oran takes on Delta.
The seedings continued to hold up in the second night of action at the Scott-Mississippi Conference girls basketball tournament at Oran on Wednesday night.
Second-seeded Kelly and fourth-seeded Oran both easily advanced to tonight's semifinal round.
Kelly hammered seventh-seeded Chaffee 54-24, limiting the Red Devils to fewer than 10 points in each quarter.
Oran followed with a 54-24 victory over fifth-seeded Scott City, which was playing without leading scorer Kelley Hicks.
Kelly used its balanced attack with six players scoreing six or more points. Sophomores Katee Moore and Debra Hall led the way. Moore scored 13 and Hall added 11.
Amber Kirk led Chaffee with 11 points.
The Hawks (10-2) led 17-6 after one period and 30-13 at halftime.
They will play third-seeded Scott County Central at 8:30 p.m. tonight at Oran.
The host Eagles will take their second shot this season at top-seeded Delta, which beat Oran 43-40 on Saturday to win the Delta New Year's tournament.
The Eagles had no problem turning back Scott City, outscoring the Rams 33-13 in the opening half.
Tiffany Glastetter and Erica Michelson each had 16 points for the Eagles (6-4). Wendy Eftink added 10, including three 3-pointers.
Stephanie Essner led Scott City with eight points.
KELLY 54, CHAFFEE 24
KELLY (54) -- Brittany Ponder 6, Ashley Vetter 2, Nikki Weiny 7, Lauren Gean 6, Sarah Ruff 2, Kayla Cissell 7, Debra Hall 11, Katee Moore 13. FG 22, FT 9-13, F 10 (3-pointers: Moore. Fouled out: none).
CHAFFEE (24) -- Amber Kirk 11, Whitney Schlosser 8, Rachel Hendrix 5. FG 11, FT 1-2, F 8 (3-pointers: Kirk. Fouled out: none)
ORAN 62, SCOTT CITY 32
ORAN (62) -- Mandi Wood 4, Kristin Roberts 3, Alyson Seyer 5, Wendy Eftink 10, Callie Kielhofner 6, Erica Michelson 16, Jodi Urhahn 2, Tiffany Glastetter 16. FG 25, FT 7-11, F 15 (3-pointers: Eftink 3, Roberts 1, Seyer 1. Fouled out: none).
SCOTT CITY (32) -- Stephanie Essner 8, Becky Holder 5, Whitney Tapley 2, Darla Johnston 2, Nora Glasser 7, Emily Essner 2, Donielle Howell 2, Jessica Stice 2. FG 11, FT 8-16, F 11 (3-pointers; none. Fouled out: none)