- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Rev. Cletes Miller
MURPHYSBORO, Ill. -- The Rev. Cletes Eugene Miller, 84, of Marion, Ill., formerly of Carbondale, Ill., and Murphysboro, died Monday, Jan. 1, 2007, at Parkway Manor in Marion.
He was born June 17, 1922, at Thebes, Ill., son of Eugene and Alma Webb Miller. He was married Oct. 28, 1939, to Ethel Sams.
His early life's work started in farming and he also worked for Shell Oil Co. in Wood River, Ill. He later became an ordained minister of the Assembly of God Church, ministering the gospel all his life and pastoring many churches in Southern Illinois. He worshipped at Christian Life Center in Herrin, Ill.
He was a commercial carpenter, supervising construction of such projects as the Cape Girardeau levee, SIUC towers, and the Murphysboro Highrise. He was a member of Carpenters Local 638.
Survivors include his wife; seven daughters, Shirley Odle of West Frankfort, Ill., Lori Adkins of Dupo, Ill., Frances Davis and Ruth Ann Plantz of Marion, Sharon Howell of Mount Sterling, Ill., Claire Davis of Carbondale, Carolyn Shewmaker of Murphysboro; three brothers, Clifford, Clifton and Charles Miller, all of Olive Branch, Ill.; 30 grandchildren; 48 great-grandchildren; and five great-great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a son and two infant sisters.
Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to service time Thursday at Christian Life Center in Herrin.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at the center, with the Rev. Brent Fitzgerald officiating. Burial will be in Pleasant Grove Memorial Park.
Crain Pleasant Grove-Murdale Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.