- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
River City Players announce 2007 season
The River City Players community theater group has announced its slate of shows for the coming year. First up is "Barefoot in the Park," Feb. 16 to 17 and 22 to 24; followed by "Driving Miss Daisy," May 4 to 5 and 10 to 12; "Greater Tuna," July 20 to 21 and 27 to 29; "I'm Not Rappaport," Sept. 21 to 22 and 27 to 29; and "Cabaret!" Nov. 9 to 10 and 15 to 17. Auditions for "Barefoot in the Park" will be held at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 4 and at 2 p.m. Jan. 6. Auditions for "Driving Miss Daisy" will be Feb. 26. For more information, call 334-0954.
Film Festival targets amateur filmmakers
The Show Me Digital Film Festival is putting special emphasis on student and amateur filmmakers this year, asking for them to submit works for the festival. Organizers say they'll give special consideration to students pursuing a career in film. The deadline for entries is Dec. 31. For more information, contact Michael Huntington at 334-5273 or Patrick Bond at (573) 270-4769.
Arts council to hold Trivia Night Jan. 20
The Arts Council of Southeast Missouri will present its annual Trivia Night event at 6 p.m. Jan. 20 at the Cape Senior Center, 921 N. Clark Ave. Teams of eight will compete in 10 trivia categories, with all funds raised going to benefit the not-for-profit arts council. For more information, call 334-9233 after Jan. 3.
Arts council sponsors two-day workshop
Renowned artist Russell Irwin will present a two-day workshop on the art of paper mosaics Jan. 27 and 28 at the Garden Gallery, sponsored by the Arts Council of Southeast Missouri. Irwin is known for his paintings and mosaics of American political and sports figures. The cost of the workshop is $120. For more information, call the arts council at 334-9233.
Benefit concert planned for Sunday
The John D. Hale Band will perform a benefit concert for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and Aidan King, a Marble Hill, Mo., -area 5-year-old receiving treatment at St. Jude for a brain tumor, starting at 8 p.m. Sunday at the Plaza Conference Center in Cape Girardeau. For more information on the event, call Pam Phillips at (573) 380-2392 or visit www.johndhaleband.com.
-- From staff reports