- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
MILLER CITY, Ill. -- Billy Joe Washam, 57, of Miller City died Friday, Dec. 15, 2006, at Veterans Administration Medical Center in Marion, Ill.
He was born Jan. 13, 1948, in Cairo, Ill., son of Herbert and Mary Harget Washam.
Washam was a self-employed welder. He was a member of Shiloh Baptist Church in Villa Ridge, Ill., Cairo Masonic Lodge 237 AF&AM, York Rite and Scottish Rite 32nd Degree Mason, KIM Shrine Club in Cairo, Ainad Shrine Temple in East St. Louis, Ill., and a life member of Cairo VFW Post 2649.
He was a U.S. Marine Corps veteran of the Vietnam War.
Survivors include his wife; two daughters, Jennifer and Rebecca Washam of San Antonio; two sons, Scott and Alex Washam of Miller City; and three grandsons.
He was preceded in death by his parents, stepfather and a brother.
Friends may call at Barkett Funeral Home in Cairo after 5 p.m. Monday. Masonic rites will be at 8 p.m. by Cairo Lodge.
The funeral will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Larry Miller officiating. Burial will be in Spencer Heights Cemetery at Mounds, Ill. Military rites will be conducted by Pulaski County Memorial VFW Post 8891 of Mounds, Cairo VFW Post, and the American Legion of Villa Ridge and Cairo.