- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Former alt-rock frontwoman tells how she found Christianity (8/29/16)2
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local priest met Mother Teresa, will attend canonization (8/31/16)
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Wal-Mart theft probe yields drug charges against woman (8/31/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Liz Glastetter (8/15/16)
- Scott City School District introduces new preschool program (8/26/16)1
- Cape police: Illinois union president hit woman in head with rock (8/28/16)3
Boat passenger gets good help during illness
To the editor:
I was on the paddle wheeler American Queen when I became very ill. I had boarded with 11 friends from the Widowed Persons Association of California in St. Louis on Aug. 9. When I became ill the next day, I didn't know what to do, but personnel from the boat took me to Southeast Missouri Hospital. What a fortunate choice. Everyone there from emergency room doctors to nurses were so professional and caring.
It was frightening being so far from home alone. My family was frantic. My granddaughter flew to St. Louis and rented a car for the trip to Cape Girardeau. We drove back to St. Louis, spent the night and flew home.
I am almost 80 years old. I am so glad to be home. I am under the care of my doctor and getting stronger every day. Everyone there is lucky to live in Cape Girardeau. I thank each kind person I met.