- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Bus service is filling a need
To the editor:In the 11 years since I have moved back to Cape Girardeau, there are few things that I have seen have an impact on so many in our community the way our new public transportation system has. Through our own United Way community assessment process, lack of transportation has been the No. 1 issue facing our community for many years. Our community partners have shared with us that our new public transportation system has already had a significant impact on the quality of life of many of their clients and their ability to live, work and play in our community.
Our hats are off to our county commission and the Cape County Transit staff and board for providing this service. We also acknowledge the Kelleys for their role in providing transportation to many over the years, often going above and beyond what their contract with the city provided.
We have also seen a willingness on the part of Cape County Transit to listen to concerns in regard to its service and fares and to work with those in the community to provide a reasonable, reliable service for all. The ability to sustain this important service is a priority for all sectors of the community: businesses, government and social service agencies alike. We urge the community to continue its support.
NANCY JERNIGAN, Executive Director, United Way of Southeast Missouri, Cape Girardeau