- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)3
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
Bus service is filling a need
To the editor:In the 11 years since I have moved back to Cape Girardeau, there are few things that I have seen have an impact on so many in our community the way our new public transportation system has. Through our own United Way community assessment process, lack of transportation has been the No. 1 issue facing our community for many years. Our community partners have shared with us that our new public transportation system has already had a significant impact on the quality of life of many of their clients and their ability to live, work and play in our community.
Our hats are off to our county commission and the Cape County Transit staff and board for providing this service. We also acknowledge the Kelleys for their role in providing transportation to many over the years, often going above and beyond what their contract with the city provided.
We have also seen a willingness on the part of Cape County Transit to listen to concerns in regard to its service and fares and to work with those in the community to provide a reasonable, reliable service for all. The ability to sustain this important service is a priority for all sectors of the community: businesses, government and social service agencies alike. We urge the community to continue its support.
NANCY JERNIGAN, Executive Director, United Way of Southeast Missouri, Cape Girardeau