- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Students endow scholarship for former campus minister
Students at the Catholic Campus Ministry at Southeast Missouri State University have endowed a scholarship in honor of the Rev. John Francis Friedel, who served as director and chaplain of the ministry from 1993 through summer 2006.
The scholarship will be awarded to students who are practicing Catholics, have a history of leadership in church or school or graduated from Christian Brothers San Miguel Schools.
Along with his duties as chaplain, Friedel taught several theology classes at Southeast.
Students announced the scholarship following Friedel's last sermon at Southeast earlier this fall.
Friedel now directs the campus ministry at Missouri Southern State University in Joplin, Mo., and is pastor of St. Peter the Apostle Catholic Church.