- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
McClure flea market fire death under investigation
McCLURE, Ill. -- A McClure fire that claimed the life of a 79-year-old man is still under investigation, said McClure-East Cape Fire District chief Stanley Mouser Tuesday.
Mouser said firefighters responded to a call at about 9 a.m. Saturday at the junction of Highway 146 and Highway 3.
Edgar D. Bledsoe was found inside Mile's Flea Market, on Condel Lane, where he lived, Mouser said. Alexander County Coroner David Barkett pronounced Bledsoe dead at the scene, although a cause of death has not been officially announced.
The state fire marshal is still investigating the fire, Mouser said, although it appears to have been an electrical fire caused by a short.
Mouser said there was no structural damage to the building, but a significant amount of smoke damage was reported. Damage estimates have not been determined yet, he said.