- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
COBDEN, Ill. -- Herbert Woodrow Modglin, 88, of Cobden died Sunday, Dec. 3, 2006 at his home.
He was born Sept. 15, 1918, in Makanda, Ill., son of Charles and Minnie Craig Modglin. He and Kathleen James were married in 1947 in Piggott, Ark. She died Jan. 2, 1993.
Modglin served in the Air Force as an aerial torpedo mechanic in World War II. He was awarded a Bronze Star for his service. He was a member of the Carroll P. Foster VFW Post 3455 in Anna, Ill., the Cobden American Legion and a supported of the Democratic Party. Modglin retired from the Illinois Division of Forestry after working as a forester and portraying Smokey the Bear for schoolchildren. He also served many years as a trustee of the Alto Pass Water District and a member of the Illinois Fruit Growers Association.
Survivors include two daughters, Pat Lingle and Debbie Nash of Cobden; four granddaughters and several great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, wife and 13 siblings.
Friends may call from noon to 2 p.m. today at Lutz and Rendleman Funeral Home in Alto Pass. Funeral will be at 2 p.m. today at the funeral home, with burial following at Alto Pass cemetery. Full military honors will be provided by the Anna VFW.