- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
James W. Herod, 76, of Cape Girardeau died Friday, Dec. 1, 2006, at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Feb. 19, 1930, at Gideon, Mo., son of William Watson and Madge Maye Powers Herod. He and Jo Ann Smith were married Oct. 6, 1949, in Delta.
Herod served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1948 to 1951. He was an insurance adjuster for Strubinger Insurance Agency and a field secretary for congressman Bill Burleson of the 10th Congressional District. Herod was a member of First Baptist Church, the Marine Corps League, Civil War Roundtable, American Legion Post 63 and was a past member of the Masons.
Survivors include his wife; two sons, Mitch Herod of Cape Girardeau, Doug Herod of O'Fallon, Mo.; a daughter, Emily Hagan of Cape Girardeau; and six grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, two brothers and two sisters.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home.
Funeral will be at 1 p.m. Monday at First Baptist Church, with the Rev. Mike Shupert officiating.
Burial will be in Missouri State Veterans Cemetery at Bloomfield, Mo. Graveside rites will be conducted by the Missouri Honors Team.