- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)3
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
For the needy
It is traditional to make charitable gifts near the end of the year, especially in the weeks leading up to Christmas and before the Dec. 31 deadline for tax purposes.
At the root of all the donations, however, is that human element -- the emotion of the heart -- that guides most people to give and to give generously.
The Southeast Missourian is especially thankful for the hundreds of kind and generous readers who once again are remembering those who benefit from the Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly programs.
Now in its 32 year, Toybox is sponsored by the Southeast Missourian and Cape Girardeau Jaycees. Kim McDowell at the Southeast Missourian and Christina Baer and Tracy Haggerty at the Jaycees are the coordinators for this effort to make sure more than 1,200 needy children receive gifts at Christmas.
And, for the 22nd year, Christmas for the Elderly will again fill special holiday requests for older members of the community who otherwise would have a bleak holiday.
The Salvation Army in Cape Girardeau serves as a clearinghouse for applications for assistance.
Cash donations to both Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly may be sent to P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 63702-0004. New toys in their original packaging -- but not gift-wrapped -- may be dropped off at most banks as well as the Southeast Missourian offices, West Park Mall, Wehrenberg Theaters, Wal-Mart, Hastings, HealthPoint Fitness, AAA Travel and Insurance, Kelly Services, Kick's Soccer, Osage Community Centre, Paula Huggins Accounting and Rental Land.
On behalf of all those who benefit from the community's generosity: Thank you. And a blessed and merry Christmas.