- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)27
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)8
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
Those county Grinches ...
To the editor:'Twas the days before Christmas, and all through the county
Deputies were anticipating their promised new bounty.
The voters had spoken, and from all we could tell
A promise was a promise until the Grinch said, "Promise, hell!"
Day one of the New Year will begin the new tax
The people will pay, and they won't be lax.
But the commissioners say it will be three months' time
Before the county collects those first dimes.
Poorer counties all 'round this great state
Envy the reserves of the county of Cape.
We could tap those reserves and do our deputies right
If only the county Grinches weren't so tight.
The new taxes are coming and soon will be here
And can pay back the reserves the Grinches hold dear.
For their hard work for low pay it only seems right
To say "Merry Christmas, deputies, and to all a good night."
MIKE BUCHANAN, Cape Girardeau