Family's home catches fire twice in same night

Sunday, November 19, 2006

RAYTOWN, Mo. -- Fire struck twice in the same night at the home of a Raytown family, authorities said.

The first blaze, at about 6:24 p.m. Thursday, left two children, both younger than 10, with serious leg burns. They were taken to the hospital.

The second fire occurred about 8:40 p.m. while the family was at the hospital, causing extensive damage to the house.

Both fires started in the living room. The electricity to the home recently had been shut off, and the family was using the fireplace to stay warm and candles as light, fire officials said.

The man renting the home, Landara Matthews, told authorities that the first fire started while he was teaching his children how to make fire with lighter fluid. Candles left burning are suspected in the second fire, although investigators did not have an official cause.

A local American Red Cross chapter is assisting the family. They are believed to have lost all of their belongings in the second fire.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: